Join Stevenage Museum working with archive material from The Gordon Craig Theatre’s 43 year history.
Our friends over at The Gordon Craig Theatre have been busy keeping an archive of posters, programmes, photographs and all sorts of interesting things since the building opened in 1975. Locked away in a room in the maze of backstage corridors, it’s been almost entirely unexplored… until now!
In 2019, with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Stevenage Museum will be working with a newly recruited team of volunteers to catalogue all these bits of theatrical history and to build a full record of performances that have ever taken place at the Gordon Craig. We’re going to digitise as much of the material as we can and we’ll make an online searchable database to allow the public to delve into the archive and explore the theatre’s past.
43 years… over 100 events in an average year… that’s a lot of material to work through!
Stevenage Museum are pleased to announce an exciting volunteering opportunity from March 2019. Get involved in cataloguing and digitising The Gordon Craig’s fascinating archive, receive database training, carry out research and interviews and go on fact-finding trips to places such as the V&A Theatre and Performance Collection and The National Theatre archives.
For anyone aged 16+
Volunteering days and times:
Wednesdays: 10am – 1pm and 1pm – 4pm
Thursdays: 4pm – 5:30pm (after school session)
Fridays: 10am – 1pm and 1pm – 4pm
Saturdays: 1pm – 4.30pm
other times are negotiable
- Photographing and scanning archive material, including posters, programmes, flyers and photographs.
- Uploading information to the newly created The Gordon Craig Theatre Archive database and online portal system
- Packing and storing archive material – object handling
- Taking part in research trips
- Carrying out interviews and research
- Helping to curate “Fragments from The Gordon Craig Theatre Archives” mini-exhibition as part of Stevenage Festival at The Gordon Craig Theatre in June 2019
- Helping to curate the “Stories from The Gordon Craig” exhibition, opening at Stevenage Museum in Autumn 2019
No experience is necessary and training will be provided.
To find out more and to apply:
Pop in: Stevenage Museum, St George’s Way, Stevenage, Herts SG1 1XX
Telephone: 01438 218 881
For more information on the project: